Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Embroidery on Quilts



Our school district was having a fund raiser for the Marching Band, and they wanted a quilt that they could raffle off. Being in Ohio, I thought that the best block pattern that I could use was the Ohio Star. I chose blue and gold for the school colors, and embroidery designs with a music theme to them. I always prefer to do the embroidery on the fabric before the blocks are assembled, because I don't want the bobbin stitches to show on the back of the quilt.

As a special tough, I digitized the school logo, and embroidered it for the block that would end up in the center of the quilt. You can see a close-up of the embroidered logo in the block.

My favorite stabilizer to use for this type of embroidery is a tear-away/wash-away. You can remove the bulk of it by tearing it away after you embroider, and then proceed to assemble the quilt. When the quilt is finished, the block is nice and soft. The stabilizer that does remain behind the stitches holds up well over time, and any extra stabilizer just washes away when the quilt is laundered.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

You do such wonderful work. I love the lettering and the letters are so big. Wish I had a hoop that big. Is each letter done in one hooping or a bunch together? Great work.

Karen

Phyl said...

WOW!!! The quilt is stunning!

And your memmber badge for QVC-Ohio looks great.

I am making a photo album on the group for ohio star quilts. PLease add the pic for this quilt:).

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Our band boosters in high school had a mom generous enough to go to all this work. N. Ridgeville is lucky!