Sunday, March 30, 2008

Machine Applique

































Machine embroidery is shown on this quilt in two different ways. I digitized the appliqué designs, and used a blanket stitch for the edges. I wanted the soft look that blanket stitches can give over time, with just a touch of fraying through the stitches. This quilt was for my daughter's sixteenth birthday -- I can't believe it's been 4 years ago already!

You can use any of your existing appliqué designs if you have the digitizing software to enable you to change the satin stitches along the outer edge to a blanket stitch. As I mentioned, the edges will fray just a tiny bit over time, but that adds a soft look to the quilt.

For the lettering, I embroidered on the white fabric before I assembled the quilt. All of the bobbin thread from the embroidery and the appliqué is hidden inside of the quilt layers.

This little lap quilt has seen a lot of hugging over the past four years, but it just gets better with age.

5 comments:

Jana said...

Beautiful quilt! And I love, love, love the color combo!

Phyl said...

wow, girl, ur quilts are amazing!

Don't forget to add the link to your blog at the group link section:).

Hugs,

Phyl

MeganZ said...

This is so beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Great photos, love your site, I to made a blue/white and yellow quilt for my daughter's and she will be 28 this year, oh no .

have fun blogging Christine
ps. I too have only just started blogging

Christian Crafter said...

Robin,
Wow - I didn't realize you could design blogs in such a sophisticated, classy way! I'm inspired to check into this myself! Other friends have encouraged me, but based on the ones I'd seen so far, I just didn't think I wanted to. Now, I think I may just venture forth!